Hone Your Craft at SDI
Develop your skills and discover your passion
For students looking to hone their gunsmithing skills, learn the techniques needed to operate a gunsmithing business, gain a valuable credential or expand their hobby into a career, SDI’s Certificate in Firearms Technology – Gunsmithing (formerly titled Advanced Gunsmithing Certificate) program is a great fit. In this 32-credit program, you’ll learn gunsmithing techniques and practices, shooting sports management, and more—you’ll also complete a build of your choice.
The Certificate in Firearms Technology – Gunsmithing program is broken into 2, 16-week semesters. Because of our flexible learning options, students choose to study at whatever time of day works best but will still be able to engage with other online learners and instructors as a part of weekly assignment requirements.
Course availability may vary each semester. Not all courses may be offered each term.
Firearms Technology Discipline
32 Credit Hours
Two 16-week Semesters
FTT 100: Introduction to Firearms,
FTT 104: Gunsmithing Tools Lab,
FTT 111: Firearms Inspection and Troubleshooting,
FTT 114: Custom Kydex Lab,
FTT 122: Intro to Ammo and Basic Ballistics*,
FTT 201: Firearms Finishes and Engraving,
FTT 221: Sights, Optics, and Accuracy,
FTT 231: Machining and Manufacturing of Firearms,
FTT 240: Shooting Sports Management,
FTT 299: Firearms Technology Elective
**Replaced BBS 100: Basic Ballistics
FTE 211: 1911 Advanced Armorer,
FTE 217: Modern Sporting Rifle,
FTE 218: Pump Shotgun Armorer,
FTE 225: Developing a Business Plan
To view a full list of course descriptions, click below.Course Descriptions
Tuition & Funding
This program is approved for use of the GI Bill®* and other Veterans Assistance and military benefits, as well as Federal Student Aid (FSA), based on eligibility. Click on the links below for more details regarding tuition, fees, and financial aid. Please contact the Admissions department for more info at firstname.lastname@example.org or 480-999-4767.
Develop your skills and discover your passion with SDI’s Certificate in Firearms Technology – Gunsmithing program
For students looking to hone their gunsmithing skills, learn the techniques needed to operate a gunsmithing business, gain a valuable credential or expand their hobby into a career, SDI’s Certificate in Firearms Technology – Gunsmithing program is a great fit. In this 32-semester-credit-hour program, you’ll learn gunsmithing techniques and practices, shooting sports management, and more – you’ll also complete a build of your choice.
With the successful completion of this program, a student will be able to do the following:
- Perform the basic functions of an armorer, to include cleaning firearms; diagnosing, troubleshooting, and repairing a variety of common malfunctions, and assembling a firearm from parts.
- Explain machining operations as used in firearms manufacture and customization.
- Improve firearms by applying custom finishes.
- Explain the principles of ballistics as they relate to ammunition production, and explain various procedures for making ammunition.
- Evaluate the industry of firearms service, sales, and repair.
- Improve firearms accuracy by installing and adjusting metallic sights or optics.
- Exhibit best-practices of firearms and firearms-repair safety.
- Explain, in detail, the operating principles of all major types of firearms.
- Classify firearms by type, action type, and platform by defined characteristics, and describe the functionality of each.
To earn an Certificate in Firearms Technology – Gunsmithing, a student must do the following:
- Complete all coursework required in the certificate program
- Complete at least 32 credit hours of discipline-specific coursework
- Complete the program with a minimum grade point average of 2.0 or above
- Meet all financial obligations to the Institute
Completion of the Certificate in Firearms Technology – Gunsmithing does not require additional specialized training, practicum, or externships.
SDI helped me in so many ways. Even with having a very successful second career after retiring from the U.S. Army, SDI helped me to launch yet another chapter in my life that I wake up excited about every day.Dennis Winegar2020 SDI Associate of Science in Firearms Technology Degree Graduate
Tools & Materials
Our curriculum goes beyond the textbook. We believe that online learning should include opportunities to ingest, explain, and demonstrate what you’ll learn as a student. Within your online classroom, you’ll access electronic coursebooks and supplemental multimedia resources, interact with students and instructors, submit assignments and exams, and find extra-curricular ways to make the most of your time as an SDI student. Some courses will also include a hard copy reference book for future use. Plus, SDI programs include a number of entry-level tools to help set you up for success after graduation. Each course has its own required, suggested, and provided tools, so feel free to check out our Lab Tools List to get a feel for what you’ll need and have during your coursework.Lab Tool List
*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.